Skip to main content

[Food Review] NK Noodles - The De Facto Best Thai Noodle Place in Amsterdam

 

NK Noodles - Amsterdam: Thumbnail

Until I wrote this review, I had visited this place about 4-5 times since last November. On my way to the Rijksmuseum from Weesperplein, I randomly noticed the "World Famous Pink Noodles" sign on their glass wall. Intrigued, I decided to look up the place and was pleasantly surprised to find an impressive 4.9 rating on Google Maps.

NK Noodles - Amsterdam: Menu


Indeed, their menu features a few unconventional items. While Yentafo, the famous Thai Pink Noodles, has been starting to appear on a few places' menus, it remains relatively low-key and not very common yet in Amsterdam. This restaurant proudly considers Yentafo as their signature dish, alongside other interesting noodle options listed on the menu.

NK Noodles - Amsterdam: Menu 2

The very first noodle dish I tried at this restaurant was the Beef Noodle Soup. While the most famous beef noodle soup in Southeast Asia is undoubtedly Vietnamese Pho, Bangkok offers a plethora of amazing beef noodle options, including the renowned Wat Dong Moon Lek noodles and Wattana Panich, known for its 50-year beef broth recipe at Ekkamai. Slightly sweet and flavored with cinnamon and star anise, the beef noodle soup at NK Noodles was a decent meal. However, I personally prefer the options available at Phu Thai Thai Takeaway, as they offer a wider variety of Beef Noodle Soup dishes.

NK Noodles - Amsterdam: Chicken Noodle Soup

The other day, I decided to try their Chicken Noodle Soup. Flavored with cinnamon and star anise, the taste was somewhat similar to the Beef Noodle Soup, but with a lighter touch. The chicken noodles were expertly cooked and had a distinct aroma. After tasting Muslim-Thai halal chicken noodles at a lovely street stall in front of the Indonesia Mosque at Phloen Chit in Bangkok, which only cost 50 Baht, I developed a real appreciation for this dish. The chicken noodle soup at NK Noodles reminded me of the flavors I experienced in Bangkok, and I thoroughly enjoyed it.


NK Noodles - Amsterdam: Chicken Noodle Soup

That day, I went with a couple of friends, and we decided to try the classic Pad Thai and Phad Si Ew. Both dishes received high praise from my friends, who described them as top-notch in Amsterdam. One of my friends, who typically only orders Phad Si Ew for Thai noodles, remarked that this was the best version he had found. Another friend ordered his favorite cashew nut chicken and also proclaimed it to be the best he had discovered in Amsterdam.


NK Noodles - Amsterdam: Pad Thai
NK Noodles - Amsterdam:: Cashewnut Chicken

That day, I went with a couple of friends, and we decided to try the classic Pad Thai and Phad Si Ew. Both dishes received high praise from my friends, who described them as top-notch in Amsterdam. One of my friends, who typically only orders Phad Si Ew for Thai noodles, remarked that this was the best version he had found. Another friend ordered his favorite cashew nut chicken and also proclaimed it to be the best he had discovered in Amsterdam.

NK Noodles - Amsterdam: Yenta Fo Pink Noodles


Today, I visited the restaurant specifically to try their signature Pink Noodles. While I had Yentafo at Phu Thai Thai Takeaway before, I must admit that I found other noodles there to be better. However, upon tasting the Yentafo at this place, I could understand why they consider it their signature dish.

NK Noodles - Amsterdam: Yenta Fo Pink Noodles

Filled with abundant ingredients such as squid, fish balls, coagulated blood, morning glory, and hed kao (white mushrooms), the fermented bean paste gives the distinctive pink color to the broth, adding a lightly sweet flavor to the soup. In Thai cuisine, there are actually two types of pink noodles. Yentafo is super famous and needs no introduction, but there is another type of pink noodles from Hakka cuisine, which derive their color from red yeast rice. You can find Hakka restaurants serving these noodles around Sampheng Market Yaowarat in the Chinatown area, such as Yok Hua or Biang Ki Pochana.

NK Noodles - Amsterdam: Yenta Fo Pink Noodles

While all of their noodles are excellent, this dish stood out as the best for me. It perfectly balanced all the flavors – sweet, sourness, saltiness, and spiciness – bringing together the essence of Thai cuisine. The ingredients were cooked with superb technique, resulting in great texture as well. For more details, please check the YouTube video below.



Choosing between Phu Thai Thai Take Away and NK Noodles is a difficult task for me. However, it's a blessing to have these Thai restaurants in Amsterdam.

NK Thai Noodles
Weteringschans 187 DH, 1017 XE Amsterdam
+31 020 777 0154

Thans for Reading

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

[Food Review] Bar Bouwmeester - A Decent and Cozy Breakfast Place Close to Victoriaplein

This is a funny story, but I hadn't used a key for several decades. One of the big culture shocks after arriving in Amsterdam was encountering keys for doors and gates. In Asia, we typically use a number pad or fingerprint recognition to enter houses. When my family visited, everybody was confused, and on the last day, a big event occurred. The door was locked with the key inside. I called a locksmith, but he was fully booked, so I had to stay at my friend's place and went to breakfast with him. We first attempted to go to a Moroccan breakfast place, which I had randomly received a recommendation for from a Moroccan Uber driver. However, it was closed for the day. So, we swiftly opted for another place with very favorable Google reviews.  As you can discern from the menu, the prices for the all-day breakfast were not typical of Amsterdam, although the pictures on the Google reviews appeared quite enticing. Sweet French Toast 10.5€ We ordered Sweet French Toast and t...

[Food Review] Yangon Delight: The Very First Burmese Restaurant in Amsterdam

When it comes to Asian food, Amsterdam doesn't offer as much variety as its neighboring cities like London or Paris. For example, Korean options are very limited, and Japanese cuisine is more skewed towards ramen and sushi. For Chinese food, we are now seeing Northeastern restaurants and hot pot places starting to pop up, but there is still a lack of diversity. In terms of Southeast Asian cuisine, while Delft has some Lao and Cambodian options, Amsterdam mainly has Indian, Indonesian, and Thai restaurants, with a very limited number of Vietnamese and Malaysian establishments. One good thing about Amsterdam is that, due to the city's exponential growth, new establishments keep opening. I sometimes google terms like "Sri Lankan Amsterdam" or "Lao Amsterdam" to see if there are any new restaurants. One day, I randomly typed "Burmese Amsterdam," and to my surprise, a Burmese restaurant had just opened its doors for the first time in Amsterdam. I had be...

[Food Review] Bussia Panificio: Crafting Authentic Italian Breads and Pastries and Superb Almond Croissant

I have been to Bussia Panificio a few times, but I haven't explored the Joordan area in a long time, so I almost forgot about it. However, last Sunday, the weather was amazing, and as we were walking down the street towards the Pulitzer, the unmistakable orange interior of Bussia caught our attention, right before the Pulitzer Hotel. For more details, please find my YouTube below.   The striking orange interior still shone beautifully in the morning sunlight. We initially considered sitting outside, but since the sun hadn't yet warmed the ground and it was still chilly, we opted to stay indoors after checking the temperature. Additionally, I've noticed that whenever I sit outdoors in the Joordan area, the sidewalk feels too narrow as well. Bussia's distinctive interior remained unchanged. Managed by the Burro group, the establishment is divided into two sections: the Panificio area, meaning bakery in Italian, and the traditional restaurant area. ...