Skip to main content

[Food Review] Phu Thai Thai Take Away: Super Authentic Thai Food Restaurant Run by Phu Thai - Issan People


(Be sure to check out the video below for a one-minute video of Phu Thai Thai Take Away)

Unlike Vietnamese or Malay cuisine, Amsterdam offers quite a few excellent Thai food options throughout the city. While Vietnamese cuisine lacks much variety beyond Pho, and Malay restaurants are initially scarce in number, Thai cuisine boasts a considerable presence across the city, with numerous options available, including Issan food.




Right in front of the Nieuwmarkt station's exit stands Phu Thai Thai Take Away, a restaurant highly recommended by a Thai Instagrammer. She considers it the best Thai food spot, and whenever I visit, I consistently notice groups of Thai people dining here.




They specialize in Issan cuisine, which is the North Eastern Cuisine of Thailand, featuring Issan specialties on their menu. Additionally, rare menu items such as stewed pork bone (Kha mu) are available. Having enjoyed Kha Mu from Bangkok's Charoensang Silom, it was one of the most eagerly anticipated dishes from this restaurant for me.



Honestly, the menu on the front page showcases the typical mundane Thai dishes that you can find in Thai restaurants worldwide. However, the menu becomes more intriguing when you flip to the back page. Here, they feature a selection of different beef noodle dishes, the renowned pink noodle dish, Yen Ta Flow, and a variety of Issan specialties, including Larb and Nam Tok.

Phu Thai Thai Take Away Amsterdam - Menu 2

I always opt for tea when I dine here. When you order a teapot, they usually provide enough cups for all guests, a gesture I truly appreciate.



The first dish, Kha mu, arrived like a picture-perfect presentation. However, when I ordered it, they only had the last bit of the dish available for the day. They kindly asked if I wanted to take it, but to be honest, it wasn't quite the visual presentation I had anticipated.




The drunken noodle, Phad See ew, was decent, featuring adequately sticky noodles and an abundance of vegetables.





I also ordered morning glory with pork. The pork turned out to be a bit crispier than I expected, but the morning glory was cooked to perfection with the right texture.





My friend ordered his favorite cashew nut chicken, and they skillfully wielded their wok to prepare it perfectly..


The other day, I visited the restaurant alone and decided to try their pink noodle. To be honest, my only previous experience with pink noodle was at Yok Hua, the renowned Hakka restaurant in Yaowarat. So, I wasn't sure what to expect, but the pink noodle arrived with a generous portion of squid and fish balls. Then I realized those two were completely different types of noodles.



What I appreciate about this place is how they offer a variety of Thai sauces. They always bring five different types of sauce in a tray, presented in a very clean manner. I find that these sauces complement the distinctive taste of Thai food perfectly - sweet, sour, spicy, and salty.





Before discovering NK Noodles at Vijzelgracht, Phu Thai Thai Take Away was my top Thai restaurant in Amsterdam, and I still hold it dear. At NK Noodles, I prefer their chicken noodles, while at Phu Thai Thai Take Away, I adore their beef noodles.



Phu Thai Thai Take Away
Koningsstraat 25, 1011 ET Amsterdam
+31 020 737 1009
http://www.phuthai.nl/

Thanks for reading




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

[Food Review] Bar Bouwmeester - A Decent and Cozy Breakfast Place Close to Victoriaplein

This is a funny story, but I hadn't used a key for several decades. One of the big culture shocks after arriving in Amsterdam was encountering keys for doors and gates. In Asia, we typically use a number pad or fingerprint recognition to enter houses. When my family visited, everybody was confused, and on the last day, a big event occurred. The door was locked with the key inside. I called a locksmith, but he was fully booked, so I had to stay at my friend's place and went to breakfast with him. We first attempted to go to a Moroccan breakfast place, which I had randomly received a recommendation for from a Moroccan Uber driver. However, it was closed for the day. So, we swiftly opted for another place with very favorable Google reviews.  As you can discern from the menu, the prices for the all-day breakfast were not typical of Amsterdam, although the pictures on the Google reviews appeared quite enticing. Sweet French Toast 10.5€ We ordered Sweet French Toast and t...

[Food Review] Yangon Delight: The Very First Burmese Restaurant in Amsterdam

When it comes to Asian food, Amsterdam doesn't offer as much variety as its neighboring cities like London or Paris. For example, Korean options are very limited, and Japanese cuisine is more skewed towards ramen and sushi. For Chinese food, we are now seeing Northeastern restaurants and hot pot places starting to pop up, but there is still a lack of diversity. In terms of Southeast Asian cuisine, while Delft has some Lao and Cambodian options, Amsterdam mainly has Indian, Indonesian, and Thai restaurants, with a very limited number of Vietnamese and Malaysian establishments. One good thing about Amsterdam is that, due to the city's exponential growth, new establishments keep opening. I sometimes google terms like "Sri Lankan Amsterdam" or "Lao Amsterdam" to see if there are any new restaurants. One day, I randomly typed "Burmese Amsterdam," and to my surprise, a Burmese restaurant had just opened its doors for the first time in Amsterdam. I had be...

[Food Review] Bussia Panificio: Crafting Authentic Italian Breads and Pastries and Superb Almond Croissant

I have been to Bussia Panificio a few times, but I haven't explored the Joordan area in a long time, so I almost forgot about it. However, last Sunday, the weather was amazing, and as we were walking down the street towards the Pulitzer, the unmistakable orange interior of Bussia caught our attention, right before the Pulitzer Hotel. For more details, please find my YouTube below.   The striking orange interior still shone beautifully in the morning sunlight. We initially considered sitting outside, but since the sun hadn't yet warmed the ground and it was still chilly, we opted to stay indoors after checking the temperature. Additionally, I've noticed that whenever I sit outdoors in the Joordan area, the sidewalk feels too narrow as well. Bussia's distinctive interior remained unchanged. Managed by the Burro group, the establishment is divided into two sections: the Panificio area, meaning bakery in Italian, and the traditional restaurant area. ...