Skip to main content

[Food Review] Miri Mary: Exploring Amsterdam's Modern Indian Fusion

Miri Mary - Thumbnail


One day at the office, we were discussing the best Indian restaurants. I received several recommendations about a particular place. I searched for it on Google and found numerous ads on Google Maps, making it easy to locate. However, booking a table proved to be impossible. They were fully booked for the entire weekend. After multiple attempts, I managed to get through via phone, but only after calling six times. Eventually, they informed me that they could arrange a bar area for my group. Consequently, we secured a spot at the bar for Friday evening. For further details, please refer to the YouTube video below.



The place is situated near the De Pijp area and offers a few outdoor seating options. During my phone conversation with them, they mentioned that they could arrange outdoor seating if the weather was pleasant. However, we opted for indoor seating since the weather was still quite chilly. Nevertheless, it's worth noting that outdoor seating is available.



When everyone arrived, the server informed us that their concept revolves around Indian-inspired cuisine infused with Amsterdam flavors. Upon hearing this, some of us began to feel a bit apprehensive, knowing that the fusion of Amsterdam influence with international cuisine doesn't always yield exceptional results, unlike the renowned culinary blends found in places like Tokyo Goan, Chifa, or Nyonya. Additionally, they mentioned that their concept involves food sharing and recommended that we order three dishes per person.




Despite the recommendation to order three dishes per person, we opted to keep a close eye on the portions being served, especially since we were seated near the kitchen. We concluded that ordering nine dishes would be excessive, so instead, we settled on six dishes along with naan, and rice.



Goan Chorizo Bruschetta €14

The first dish served was the Goan Chorizo Bruschetta. Having fond memories of Goan cuisine, especially their chorizo, I was intrigued by this concept. However, the execution was unexpected. Instead of the traditional bruschetta texture, it resembled more of a Dutch-style sausage bun. The brioche bun used wasn't quite like the French-style brioche but felt more like regular white bread. Additionally, the topping consisted of aged cheddar cheese sauce rather than the expected ingredients. Despite the unconventional presentation, the standout element was the flavor of the Goan chorizo, which was meant to be tossed in red wine vinegar and jalapeño sprinkles.


Eggplant & Tomato Arancini €10

I found it odd that these appetizers were named after Italian dishes when they were nothing like them. But, the best thing I had that day was crispy fried eggplant and tomato served with rice balls and green tomato chutney. I just wished they'd given us more because those five little balls disappeared quickly.


Sweet Potato Samosa €12

My friend enjoyed the samosa, but it wasn't quite to my taste. Personally, I found the sweet potato filling a bit heavy for an appetizer, and it felt a bit dry to me. However, my friend really loved it and ended up having two servings.



Miri's Spiced Chicken €14

As the name suggested, the spicy chicken lived up to its reputation. It wasn't mouth-burning hot, but rather packed a punch with its spicy black pepper seasoning. This provided a nice contrast to the other dishes, which were relatively toned down compared to traditional Indian cuisine.



Butter Chicken €10

The description touted 'Tandoori Chicken in a thick, buttery tomato and fenugreek sauce', referencing Murg Makhani. However, for me, the butter chicken fell a bit flat. While I wasn't expecting an overwhelmingly tangy or spicy dish, given the reference to Murg Makhani, I had hoped for a bit more depth in the tomato sauce with some added spice. Nevertheless, we realized that this was perhaps their interpretation of infusing Amsterdam flavor into Indian cuisine.



The service management wasn't flawless. Despite ordering naan and rice, they only brought naans and forgot our rice, and we noticed roti on the receipt which we hadn't ordered. Additionally, our crispy okra was missing from the menu, so we had to remind them after the meal. The Crispy Okra, served with tempered Yogurt sauce, was truly delightful. If it had been served on time rather than at the end of the meal, it might have been the highlight of the day. I had anticipated something more akin to Japan's Okra Tempura, retaining the okra's slight sliminess, but instead, they finely chopped and expertly fried it. The result paired beautifully with the Yogurt sauce.



Crispy Okra €14

Dining at Miri Mary offered a glimpse into the evolution of overseas Indian cuisine. I had hoped to experience a development similar to the British style found in restaurants like Gymkhana in London, given the Dutch presence in India for over 200 years. While the appetizers—such as the Arancini, Crispy Okra, and Goan Chorizo—were intriguing, and the restaurant's atmosphere was pleasant, I'm unsure if I would return.

Miri Mary
Van der Helstplein 15H, 1073 AR Amsterdam
+31 020 233 9587

Thanks for Reading



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

[Food Review] Bar Bouwmeester - A Decent and Cozy Breakfast Place Close to Victoriaplein

This is a funny story, but I hadn't used a key for several decades. One of the big culture shocks after arriving in Amsterdam was encountering keys for doors and gates. In Asia, we typically use a number pad or fingerprint recognition to enter houses. When my family visited, everybody was confused, and on the last day, a big event occurred. The door was locked with the key inside. I called a locksmith, but he was fully booked, so I had to stay at my friend's place and went to breakfast with him. We first attempted to go to a Moroccan breakfast place, which I had randomly received a recommendation for from a Moroccan Uber driver. However, it was closed for the day. So, we swiftly opted for another place with very favorable Google reviews.  As you can discern from the menu, the prices for the all-day breakfast were not typical of Amsterdam, although the pictures on the Google reviews appeared quite enticing. Sweet French Toast 10.5€ We ordered Sweet French Toast and t...

[Food Review] Yangon Delight: The Very First Burmese Restaurant in Amsterdam

When it comes to Asian food, Amsterdam doesn't offer as much variety as its neighboring cities like London or Paris. For example, Korean options are very limited, and Japanese cuisine is more skewed towards ramen and sushi. For Chinese food, we are now seeing Northeastern restaurants and hot pot places starting to pop up, but there is still a lack of diversity. In terms of Southeast Asian cuisine, while Delft has some Lao and Cambodian options, Amsterdam mainly has Indian, Indonesian, and Thai restaurants, with a very limited number of Vietnamese and Malaysian establishments. One good thing about Amsterdam is that, due to the city's exponential growth, new establishments keep opening. I sometimes google terms like "Sri Lankan Amsterdam" or "Lao Amsterdam" to see if there are any new restaurants. One day, I randomly typed "Burmese Amsterdam," and to my surprise, a Burmese restaurant had just opened its doors for the first time in Amsterdam. I had be...

[Food Review] Bussia Panificio: Crafting Authentic Italian Breads and Pastries and Superb Almond Croissant

I have been to Bussia Panificio a few times, but I haven't explored the Joordan area in a long time, so I almost forgot about it. However, last Sunday, the weather was amazing, and as we were walking down the street towards the Pulitzer, the unmistakable orange interior of Bussia caught our attention, right before the Pulitzer Hotel. For more details, please find my YouTube below.   The striking orange interior still shone beautifully in the morning sunlight. We initially considered sitting outside, but since the sun hadn't yet warmed the ground and it was still chilly, we opted to stay indoors after checking the temperature. Additionally, I've noticed that whenever I sit outdoors in the Joordan area, the sidewalk feels too narrow as well. Bussia's distinctive interior remained unchanged. Managed by the Burro group, the establishment is divided into two sections: the Panificio area, meaning bakery in Italian, and the traditional restaurant area. ...