Skip to main content

[Food Review] Casa Infante: De Pjip's New Italian Gelato Parlor from Naples

 

Casa Infante - Thumbnail


One day, my Dutch friend told me about a new and interesting Italian Gelato place that had just opened up right next to Da Michele pizzeria in De Pijp. De Pijp has been the area that Massimo Gelato has dominated for years, but interestingly, they opened up a gelato place just a few blocks away. For more details, please find my YouTube video below.




Casa Infante was initially opened in 1940 in Naples by Leopoldo Infante, the namesake of the establishment. Expanding from Naples to Milan, they subsequently opened a branch in Amsterdam. From the exterior, it resembles more of a high-end pastry shop than a traditional gelateria. Situated adjacent to Da Michele Pizzeria and across from the actual pastry shop, My Little Patisserie, it gives off more of a patisserie vibe than its neighboring counterpart when viewed solely through the showcase window.


Casa Infante - Exterior

When looking at the pastries, they filled the shelves with popular items from all over the world. Of course, there were macarons, maritozzi, and cannoli, and they even offered a version of Suprême, the famous pastry from Lafayette Grand Café & Bakery in NY, called the NY Roll. They had various types of Tiramisu, as well as baba. When I first saw the showcase window, I expected to see more Italian-style pastries like bombolone, pasticiotto, and torta, but instead, the pastry selection seemed to reflect a more global influence, with an identity that was somewhat difficult to pinpoint. Moreover, during my evening visit, the pastries did not give the impression of being particularly fresh.


Casa Infante - Showwindow


The Gelato selection appeared enticing, although it posed a challenge to make a decision. Thankfully, they graciously offered tastings, allowing us to sample a few options before making our choice. Intrigued by the sign of Babbi, the renowned confectionery from Forlì-Cesena, I was keen on trying something with pistachio. However, on that particular day, the only option featuring pistachio was a combination with coconut, and it didn't quite have the flavor profile I was looking for. As a result, I opted for different flavors.


Casa Infante - Gelato

Casa Infante -  Gelato 2

On the left side of the inner layer of the gelato showcase, I noticed some gelato with an intriguing texture, leading me to ask about them. However, I soon discovered that they were actually sauces rather than gelato. While they offered a variety of flavors, I found that they leaned more towards nutty and creamy profiles rather than fruity ones, which was quite different from Miuz, my favorite gelato spot in Amsterdam.


Casa Infante - Gelato flavors


I chose Stracciatella and strawberry tart. While I typically prefer a more refined version of Stracciatella, akin to what they serve at Perche No? in Florence, I found their textured and rugged Stracciatella quite satisfying. As for the strawberry tart, the flavor was delightful, but I wasn't fond of the hard frozen raspberries and their texture in my mouth, especially when I had to chew them.

Casa Infante - Gelato Close Up Stracciatella and Strawberry Tart

In terms of gelato quality, it was quite good. I personally slightly prefer Miuz, but what stood out to me at Casa Infante was that their gelato wasn't as sweet as Miuz, which I sometimes find overwhelming. They maintained a good balance in flavors. However, I do prefer the texture of Miuz over Casa Infante. Nevertheless, I believe Casa Infante is a great addition to Amsterdam's gelato scene. Amsterdam already has a strong Italian influence, resulting in a pretty good gelato market. Additionally, I hope to see more varieties of great ice creams, similar to American styles, with a slightly icier texture and creamier flavor, like what you can find on the West Coast, such as Salt & Straw or Bi-Rite Creamery.

Casa Infante
Eerste van der Helststraat 78h, 1072 NZ Amsterdam
+31 020 233 7828

Thanks for Reading



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

[Food Review] Bar Bouwmeester - A Decent and Cozy Breakfast Place Close to Victoriaplein

This is a funny story, but I hadn't used a key for several decades. One of the big culture shocks after arriving in Amsterdam was encountering keys for doors and gates. In Asia, we typically use a number pad or fingerprint recognition to enter houses. When my family visited, everybody was confused, and on the last day, a big event occurred. The door was locked with the key inside. I called a locksmith, but he was fully booked, so I had to stay at my friend's place and went to breakfast with him. We first attempted to go to a Moroccan breakfast place, which I had randomly received a recommendation for from a Moroccan Uber driver. However, it was closed for the day. So, we swiftly opted for another place with very favorable Google reviews.  As you can discern from the menu, the prices for the all-day breakfast were not typical of Amsterdam, although the pictures on the Google reviews appeared quite enticing. Sweet French Toast 10.5€ We ordered Sweet French Toast and t...

[Food Review] Yangon Delight: The Very First Burmese Restaurant in Amsterdam

When it comes to Asian food, Amsterdam doesn't offer as much variety as its neighboring cities like London or Paris. For example, Korean options are very limited, and Japanese cuisine is more skewed towards ramen and sushi. For Chinese food, we are now seeing Northeastern restaurants and hot pot places starting to pop up, but there is still a lack of diversity. In terms of Southeast Asian cuisine, while Delft has some Lao and Cambodian options, Amsterdam mainly has Indian, Indonesian, and Thai restaurants, with a very limited number of Vietnamese and Malaysian establishments. One good thing about Amsterdam is that, due to the city's exponential growth, new establishments keep opening. I sometimes google terms like "Sri Lankan Amsterdam" or "Lao Amsterdam" to see if there are any new restaurants. One day, I randomly typed "Burmese Amsterdam," and to my surprise, a Burmese restaurant had just opened its doors for the first time in Amsterdam. I had be...

[Food Review] Bussia Panificio: Crafting Authentic Italian Breads and Pastries and Superb Almond Croissant

I have been to Bussia Panificio a few times, but I haven't explored the Joordan area in a long time, so I almost forgot about it. However, last Sunday, the weather was amazing, and as we were walking down the street towards the Pulitzer, the unmistakable orange interior of Bussia caught our attention, right before the Pulitzer Hotel. For more details, please find my YouTube below.   The striking orange interior still shone beautifully in the morning sunlight. We initially considered sitting outside, but since the sun hadn't yet warmed the ground and it was still chilly, we opted to stay indoors after checking the temperature. Additionally, I've noticed that whenever I sit outdoors in the Joordan area, the sidewalk feels too narrow as well. Bussia's distinctive interior remained unchanged. Managed by the Burro group, the establishment is divided into two sections: the Panificio area, meaning bakery in Italian, and the traditional restaurant area. ...