Skip to main content

[Food Review] Ranchi Amsterdam: Amsterdam's Sando (Japanese Sandwich) Haven at Albert Cuyp


Ranchi Amsterdam - Thumbnail

I found Ranchi Amsterdam in quite a random way. I went to Rise bakery for but they were sold out, then I was looking for somewhere I could have some snack. Then I found Ranchi Amsterdam with 4.8 google rating, then I got curious and went there. 


It wasn't your typical Japanese Tonkatsu or Katsusando joint; instead, it resembled a legitimate cafe. However, the air was thick with the smell of frying oil, unmistakably signaling that Katsu was being prepared in the kitchen. The establishment attracted a steady stream of customers and delivery personnel.


After placing my order, I decided to read about the description of the place through their website. I had assumed there must be some Japanese staff in the kitchen, but it turned out to be solely a venture run by two Dutch guys since 2020.



I ordered a Katsu-sando. Certainly, I didn't expect it to be like Omotesando Maisen or Nihonbashi Udagawa's Katsusando, but I definitely didn't anticipate the addition of red cabbage. Honestly, based on my previous experiences in Japan, Katsusandos typically feature thicker Katsu with more well-done meat. So, when it arrived with a different color than what I expected, it caught me by surprise.


However, the Katsu was decent. To be fair and honest, it differed from the Katsusando I've had in Japan. The meat was thinner, and the fried batter lacked the crispiness I'm used to. Nevertheless, the taste was quite decent. 



I particularly enjoyed their fresh cabbage, although I felt the sauce leaned a bit too heavily on saltiness and could benefit from a touch of sweetness for better balance. For a more detailed review, please check out my YouTube video above.


To be honest, I found it a bit pricey for a Katsusando compared to what I can get in Japan. For instance, the famous Maisen's Katsusando is priced at 560 JPY for 6 pieces, although each piece is smaller. 


However, this is Amsterdam, where food prices tend to be higher. After several years of living in this city, I've noticed how foreign cuisines diversify as the city evolves, and I see this as another aspect of that change.

Ranchi Amsterdam
Albert Cuypstraat 260, 1073 BR Amsterdam
+31 06 81912883

Thanks for Reading

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

[Food Review] Bar Bouwmeester - A Decent and Cozy Breakfast Place Close to Victoriaplein

This is a funny story, but I hadn't used a key for several decades. One of the big culture shocks after arriving in Amsterdam was encountering keys for doors and gates. In Asia, we typically use a number pad or fingerprint recognition to enter houses. When my family visited, everybody was confused, and on the last day, a big event occurred. The door was locked with the key inside. I called a locksmith, but he was fully booked, so I had to stay at my friend's place and went to breakfast with him. We first attempted to go to a Moroccan breakfast place, which I had randomly received a recommendation for from a Moroccan Uber driver. However, it was closed for the day. So, we swiftly opted for another place with very favorable Google reviews.  As you can discern from the menu, the prices for the all-day breakfast were not typical of Amsterdam, although the pictures on the Google reviews appeared quite enticing. Sweet French Toast 10.5€ We ordered Sweet French Toast and t...

[Food Review] Yangon Delight: The Very First Burmese Restaurant in Amsterdam

When it comes to Asian food, Amsterdam doesn't offer as much variety as its neighboring cities like London or Paris. For example, Korean options are very limited, and Japanese cuisine is more skewed towards ramen and sushi. For Chinese food, we are now seeing Northeastern restaurants and hot pot places starting to pop up, but there is still a lack of diversity. In terms of Southeast Asian cuisine, while Delft has some Lao and Cambodian options, Amsterdam mainly has Indian, Indonesian, and Thai restaurants, with a very limited number of Vietnamese and Malaysian establishments. One good thing about Amsterdam is that, due to the city's exponential growth, new establishments keep opening. I sometimes google terms like "Sri Lankan Amsterdam" or "Lao Amsterdam" to see if there are any new restaurants. One day, I randomly typed "Burmese Amsterdam," and to my surprise, a Burmese restaurant had just opened its doors for the first time in Amsterdam. I had be...

[Food Review] Bussia Panificio: Crafting Authentic Italian Breads and Pastries and Superb Almond Croissant

I have been to Bussia Panificio a few times, but I haven't explored the Joordan area in a long time, so I almost forgot about it. However, last Sunday, the weather was amazing, and as we were walking down the street towards the Pulitzer, the unmistakable orange interior of Bussia caught our attention, right before the Pulitzer Hotel. For more details, please find my YouTube below.   The striking orange interior still shone beautifully in the morning sunlight. We initially considered sitting outside, but since the sun hadn't yet warmed the ground and it was still chilly, we opted to stay indoors after checking the temperature. Additionally, I've noticed that whenever I sit outdoors in the Joordan area, the sidewalk feels too narrow as well. Bussia's distinctive interior remained unchanged. Managed by the Burro group, the establishment is divided into two sections: the Panificio area, meaning bakery in Italian, and the traditional restaurant area. ...