Skip to main content

[Food Review] Bar Bouwmeester - A Decent and Cozy Breakfast Place Close to Victoriaplein



This is a funny story, but I hadn't used a key for several decades. One of the big culture shocks after arriving in Amsterdam was encountering keys for doors and gates. In Asia, we typically use a number pad or fingerprint recognition to enter houses. When my family visited, everybody was confused, and on the last day, a big event occurred. The door was locked with the key inside. I called a locksmith, but he was fully booked, so I had to stay at my friend's place and went to breakfast with him.

Bar Bouwmeester - Menu

We first attempted to go to a Moroccan breakfast place, which I had randomly received a recommendation for from a Moroccan Uber driver. However, it was closed for the day. So, we swiftly opted for another place with very favorable Google reviews. 



As you can discern from the menu, the prices for the all-day breakfast were not typical of Amsterdam, although the pictures on the Google reviews appeared quite enticing.


Bar Bouwmeester - Sweet French Toast
Sweet French Toast 10.5€


We ordered Sweet French Toast and the Bouwmeester Breakfast. For less than a total of 20 Euros, we could enjoy two plates of breakfast at this place. I admit, it's not on par with Wildberry of Chicago or Mama's of San Francisco, but for a local small café in Amsterdam at this price point, it's quite decent.

Bar Bouwmeester - Bouwmeester Breakfast
Bouwmeester Breakfast 8.7€

The best value for money was actually this Bouwmeester Breakfast. Came with one piece of Croissant and Jam, super freshly squeezed orange juice, and super authentic yogurt with berries and granola was really worth the money. 

Bar Bouwmeester - Mint Tea

I also decided to order a cup of Dutch-style mint tea. It arrived promptly and without any unnecessary embellishments. The ambiance of the place was warm and inviting. One thing that stood out was the staff—they were unlike any others I've encountered in Amsterdam cafes and restaurants. They were genuinely caring and kind, and they welcomed us warmly. We truly enjoyed our time there.


Bar Bouwmeester - Croissants

After visiting, we understood why this place had received such favorable reviews. It offered a good price-value ratio and had friendly staff. The area itself was pleasantly quiet, so when the weather improves, it would be an excellent spot to enjoy breakfast and brunch with friends.


Bar Bouwmeester
Rijnstraat 36, 1078 RC Amsterdam
+31 0202339879

Thanks for Reading






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

[Food Review] Yangon Delight: The Very First Burmese Restaurant in Amsterdam

When it comes to Asian food, Amsterdam doesn't offer as much variety as its neighboring cities like London or Paris. For example, Korean options are very limited, and Japanese cuisine is more skewed towards ramen and sushi. For Chinese food, we are now seeing Northeastern restaurants and hot pot places starting to pop up, but there is still a lack of diversity. In terms of Southeast Asian cuisine, while Delft has some Lao and Cambodian options, Amsterdam mainly has Indian, Indonesian, and Thai restaurants, with a very limited number of Vietnamese and Malaysian establishments. One good thing about Amsterdam is that, due to the city's exponential growth, new establishments keep opening. I sometimes google terms like "Sri Lankan Amsterdam" or "Lao Amsterdam" to see if there are any new restaurants. One day, I randomly typed "Burmese Amsterdam," and to my surprise, a Burmese restaurant had just opened its doors for the first time in Amsterdam. I had be...

[Food Review] Bussia Panificio: Crafting Authentic Italian Breads and Pastries and Superb Almond Croissant

I have been to Bussia Panificio a few times, but I haven't explored the Joordan area in a long time, so I almost forgot about it. However, last Sunday, the weather was amazing, and as we were walking down the street towards the Pulitzer, the unmistakable orange interior of Bussia caught our attention, right before the Pulitzer Hotel. For more details, please find my YouTube below.   The striking orange interior still shone beautifully in the morning sunlight. We initially considered sitting outside, but since the sun hadn't yet warmed the ground and it was still chilly, we opted to stay indoors after checking the temperature. Additionally, I've noticed that whenever I sit outdoors in the Joordan area, the sidewalk feels too narrow as well. Bussia's distinctive interior remained unchanged. Managed by the Burro group, the establishment is divided into two sections: the Panificio area, meaning bakery in Italian, and the traditional restaurant area. ...