Skip to main content

[Food Review] Bakhuys Amsterdam: Reasonable Bakery at Weesperplein with Heritage Since 1926

 Bakhuys Amsterdam - Thumbnail


When discussing the bakery scene in Amsterdam, Bakhuys Amsterdam is always among the top recommendations. Conveniently situated right in front of Waterlooplein metro station, it is consistently bustling with people. Given its convenient location, I have dropped by a couple of times, though I hadn't considered writing about it until one day when I decided to do just that. In this post, I've combined my experiences from multiple visits.


For a more detailed perspective, please check out my YouTube video linked above.


Bakhuys Amsterdam - Showcase

Regardless of what Amsterdammers may think, when compared to its neighboring German, Belgian, or French cities, the bakery scene in Amsterdam is not particularly impressive. While the city is expanding and more interesting places are emerging, many of them fail to deliver truly satisfying bakeries or pastries, especially when considering their prices.

Bakhuys Amsterdam - Pizzas

While I wouldn't claim that Bakhuys Amsterdam boasts the best pastries in Europe or even in Amsterdam, what appeals to me is its rugged and straightforward style, coupled with reasonable pricing. They aren't overly expensive, yet the quality is consistently decent. As depicted in the pictures, they steer clear of unnecessary sophistication and decorative frills in their pastries.

Bakhuys Amsterdam - Stroopwafels

They have been passing down their bakery through generations. Opening their doors in 1926, they have been baking sourdough breads, pastries, viennoiseries, and cakes ever since. The establishment is not just a bakery but also a welcoming café, offering a breakfast menu until 2 PM.

Bakhuys Amsterdam - Bread

What I like to buy in this store is more of Dutch style bread rather than buttery pastries. Their small buns, sometimes filled with some almond jam or other fillings, are not overly sweet and have mild and clean taste. I sometimes purchase their croissants, which are more reminiscent of an old-school style and are quite large in size.

Bakhuys Amsterdam - Interior

To be honest, aside from the price factor, if someone were to ask for my top pick for pastry goods in Amsterdam, I would choose Grammes. However, getting to Grammes can be a hassle, and considering its higher price point, I find myself visiting Bakhuys more often. Despite this, Bakhuys is still a decent option, and I particularly appreciate the friendly staff.


Bakhuys Amsterdam
Sarphatistraat 61, 1018 EX Amsterdam
+31 020 370 4861

Thanks for Reading







Comments

Popular posts from this blog

[Food Review] Bar Bouwmeester - A Decent and Cozy Breakfast Place Close to Victoriaplein

This is a funny story, but I hadn't used a key for several decades. One of the big culture shocks after arriving in Amsterdam was encountering keys for doors and gates. In Asia, we typically use a number pad or fingerprint recognition to enter houses. When my family visited, everybody was confused, and on the last day, a big event occurred. The door was locked with the key inside. I called a locksmith, but he was fully booked, so I had to stay at my friend's place and went to breakfast with him. We first attempted to go to a Moroccan breakfast place, which I had randomly received a recommendation for from a Moroccan Uber driver. However, it was closed for the day. So, we swiftly opted for another place with very favorable Google reviews.  As you can discern from the menu, the prices for the all-day breakfast were not typical of Amsterdam, although the pictures on the Google reviews appeared quite enticing. Sweet French Toast 10.5€ We ordered Sweet French Toast and t...

[Food Review] Yangon Delight: The Very First Burmese Restaurant in Amsterdam

When it comes to Asian food, Amsterdam doesn't offer as much variety as its neighboring cities like London or Paris. For example, Korean options are very limited, and Japanese cuisine is more skewed towards ramen and sushi. For Chinese food, we are now seeing Northeastern restaurants and hot pot places starting to pop up, but there is still a lack of diversity. In terms of Southeast Asian cuisine, while Delft has some Lao and Cambodian options, Amsterdam mainly has Indian, Indonesian, and Thai restaurants, with a very limited number of Vietnamese and Malaysian establishments. One good thing about Amsterdam is that, due to the city's exponential growth, new establishments keep opening. I sometimes google terms like "Sri Lankan Amsterdam" or "Lao Amsterdam" to see if there are any new restaurants. One day, I randomly typed "Burmese Amsterdam," and to my surprise, a Burmese restaurant had just opened its doors for the first time in Amsterdam. I had be...

[Food Review] Bussia Panificio: Crafting Authentic Italian Breads and Pastries and Superb Almond Croissant

I have been to Bussia Panificio a few times, but I haven't explored the Joordan area in a long time, so I almost forgot about it. However, last Sunday, the weather was amazing, and as we were walking down the street towards the Pulitzer, the unmistakable orange interior of Bussia caught our attention, right before the Pulitzer Hotel. For more details, please find my YouTube below.   The striking orange interior still shone beautifully in the morning sunlight. We initially considered sitting outside, but since the sun hadn't yet warmed the ground and it was still chilly, we opted to stay indoors after checking the temperature. Additionally, I've noticed that whenever I sit outdoors in the Joordan area, the sidewalk feels too narrow as well. Bussia's distinctive interior remained unchanged. Managed by the Burro group, the establishment is divided into two sections: the Panificio area, meaning bakery in Italian, and the traditional restaurant area. ...