Skip to main content

[Food Review]: Vlaams Friteshuis Vleminckx Sausmeester My favorite potato chips in Amsterdam




While its neighbor Belgium is more renowned for fried potatoes, the Netherlands also boasts a great reputation for excellent potato chips. Although there is a very thin line between Belgian and Dutch fries, some people say Belgians fry potatoes in red meat oil, while Dutch people fry them in plant-based oil.


Ironically, the top two most famous fry shops in Amsterdam, Vlaams Friteshuis Vleminckx and Mannken Pis, clearly showcase their Belgian identity in their names, emphasizing their connection to Flanders or Brussels.


Having visited numerous fry places in Amsterdam, I always find myself returning to Vlaams Friteshuis Vleminckx as my first and last choice. Its texture and taste consistently stand out as the best for me.


I also appreciate their non-pretentious style and pricing. Unlike other places, they minimize toppings and focus solely on the fries and sauce. Their fries come with no frills, keeping it simple, which is another reason why I like them the most.


To be fair, the entire area is always bustling with activity, making it one of the busiest areas in all of Amsterdam. Despite this, there's consistently a queue at this small fry parlor. The narrow back alley is often filled with people holding fry cones as well.



They offer an impressive selection of 29 different sauces, which adds to the fun as I can try a new one each time I visit. I often indulge by ordering two different sauces at once. Among my favorites are, of course, the classic frite sauce, Samurai, Andalouse, and lastly, Joppie Sauce.


For more information, please check out my YouTube video below



What I really enjoy about their fries is the crispiness. The texture is completely different from any other place; they're never soggy. The sensation when you take a bite is quite pleasurable, especially the feeling on your teeth. 



Fried with peanut oil, their fries acquire a nutty flavor, complemented by perfect salting. When you begin comparing the sauces, you'll quickly notice the difference.


Opened in 1957, the shop continues its journey even after almost 70 years. There's a clear reason why people still indulge in this shop and form the famous long queue in front of it. If you're seeking the perfect Dutch fries, there's no doubt that this is the place to go.

Vlaams Friteshuis Vleminckx Sausmeester
Voetboogstraat 33, 1012 XK Amsterdam
+31 06 12211212

Thanks for Reading





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

[Food Review] Bar Bouwmeester - A Decent and Cozy Breakfast Place Close to Victoriaplein

This is a funny story, but I hadn't used a key for several decades. One of the big culture shocks after arriving in Amsterdam was encountering keys for doors and gates. In Asia, we typically use a number pad or fingerprint recognition to enter houses. When my family visited, everybody was confused, and on the last day, a big event occurred. The door was locked with the key inside. I called a locksmith, but he was fully booked, so I had to stay at my friend's place and went to breakfast with him. We first attempted to go to a Moroccan breakfast place, which I had randomly received a recommendation for from a Moroccan Uber driver. However, it was closed for the day. So, we swiftly opted for another place with very favorable Google reviews.  As you can discern from the menu, the prices for the all-day breakfast were not typical of Amsterdam, although the pictures on the Google reviews appeared quite enticing. Sweet French Toast 10.5€ We ordered Sweet French Toast and t...

[Food Review] Yangon Delight: The Very First Burmese Restaurant in Amsterdam

When it comes to Asian food, Amsterdam doesn't offer as much variety as its neighboring cities like London or Paris. For example, Korean options are very limited, and Japanese cuisine is more skewed towards ramen and sushi. For Chinese food, we are now seeing Northeastern restaurants and hot pot places starting to pop up, but there is still a lack of diversity. In terms of Southeast Asian cuisine, while Delft has some Lao and Cambodian options, Amsterdam mainly has Indian, Indonesian, and Thai restaurants, with a very limited number of Vietnamese and Malaysian establishments. One good thing about Amsterdam is that, due to the city's exponential growth, new establishments keep opening. I sometimes google terms like "Sri Lankan Amsterdam" or "Lao Amsterdam" to see if there are any new restaurants. One day, I randomly typed "Burmese Amsterdam," and to my surprise, a Burmese restaurant had just opened its doors for the first time in Amsterdam. I had be...

[Food Review] Bussia Panificio: Crafting Authentic Italian Breads and Pastries and Superb Almond Croissant

I have been to Bussia Panificio a few times, but I haven't explored the Joordan area in a long time, so I almost forgot about it. However, last Sunday, the weather was amazing, and as we were walking down the street towards the Pulitzer, the unmistakable orange interior of Bussia caught our attention, right before the Pulitzer Hotel. For more details, please find my YouTube below.   The striking orange interior still shone beautifully in the morning sunlight. We initially considered sitting outside, but since the sun hadn't yet warmed the ground and it was still chilly, we opted to stay indoors after checking the temperature. Additionally, I've noticed that whenever I sit outdoors in the Joordan area, the sidewalk feels too narrow as well. Bussia's distinctive interior remained unchanged. Managed by the Burro group, the establishment is divided into two sections: the Panificio area, meaning bakery in Italian, and the traditional restaurant area. ...