Skip to main content

[Food Review] Fou Fow Ramen Amsterdam - Mundane Ramen place at Van Woustraat


While passing by Elangracht or van Woustraat, I always wondered why there were so many people lined up for Fou Fow Ramen. However, after reading some mixed reviews on Google, I hesitated to join the queue with others.







However, one day I happened to be in the area just before the store opened, so I decided to wait at the door. There was nobody else around, and they might have thought I was a ramen fanatic.

'

The store was decorated with cute images and signs, including Shin-Chan with ramen as you can see above and a frog sign (see below).



In 2011, Fou Fow Ramen first appeared as a pop-up shop in Amsterdam's China town, located on the second floor of the Asian superstore Toko Dun Yong. The initial venture paved the way for the establishment's subsequent growth, leading to the opening of their first permanent shop in 2014. 


Fou Fow Ramen now operates two locations, including Fou Fow Ramen van Woustraat, the second outlet of the renowned ramen restaurant in Amsterdam, following the success of their original location in Elandgracht.



Although I have a preference for Miso Ramen from Hokkaido and Tonkotsu Ramen from Kyushu, choosing which one to order was challenging given the variety on the menu. 



The ramen arrived without much waiting, and I must say the staff at Fou Fow were exceptionally friendly and helpful, a rare virtue in this city. 




The toppings included nori, onsen tamago, spring onion, bean sprouts, and two slices of char siu. While the condition of the noodles was okay, I felt that the broth was lukewarm and lacked the strong flavor of Tonkotsu.


Overall, the ramen was OK, but it didn't leave a lasting impression on me. I felt it was somewhat Westernized, missing the authentic and robust Tonkotsu flavor. For me, Ramen Kingdom remains my favorite ramen spot in Amsterdam.



Fou Fow Ramen
Van Woustraat 3, 1074 AA Amsterdam
+31 020 846 7563
https://www.foufow.nl/

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

[Food Review] Bar Bouwmeester - A Decent and Cozy Breakfast Place Close to Victoriaplein

This is a funny story, but I hadn't used a key for several decades. One of the big culture shocks after arriving in Amsterdam was encountering keys for doors and gates. In Asia, we typically use a number pad or fingerprint recognition to enter houses. When my family visited, everybody was confused, and on the last day, a big event occurred. The door was locked with the key inside. I called a locksmith, but he was fully booked, so I had to stay at my friend's place and went to breakfast with him. We first attempted to go to a Moroccan breakfast place, which I had randomly received a recommendation for from a Moroccan Uber driver. However, it was closed for the day. So, we swiftly opted for another place with very favorable Google reviews.  As you can discern from the menu, the prices for the all-day breakfast were not typical of Amsterdam, although the pictures on the Google reviews appeared quite enticing. Sweet French Toast 10.5€ We ordered Sweet French Toast and t...

[Food Review] Yangon Delight: The Very First Burmese Restaurant in Amsterdam

When it comes to Asian food, Amsterdam doesn't offer as much variety as its neighboring cities like London or Paris. For example, Korean options are very limited, and Japanese cuisine is more skewed towards ramen and sushi. For Chinese food, we are now seeing Northeastern restaurants and hot pot places starting to pop up, but there is still a lack of diversity. In terms of Southeast Asian cuisine, while Delft has some Lao and Cambodian options, Amsterdam mainly has Indian, Indonesian, and Thai restaurants, with a very limited number of Vietnamese and Malaysian establishments. One good thing about Amsterdam is that, due to the city's exponential growth, new establishments keep opening. I sometimes google terms like "Sri Lankan Amsterdam" or "Lao Amsterdam" to see if there are any new restaurants. One day, I randomly typed "Burmese Amsterdam," and to my surprise, a Burmese restaurant had just opened its doors for the first time in Amsterdam. I had be...

[Food Review] Bussia Panificio: Crafting Authentic Italian Breads and Pastries and Superb Almond Croissant

I have been to Bussia Panificio a few times, but I haven't explored the Joordan area in a long time, so I almost forgot about it. However, last Sunday, the weather was amazing, and as we were walking down the street towards the Pulitzer, the unmistakable orange interior of Bussia caught our attention, right before the Pulitzer Hotel. For more details, please find my YouTube below.   The striking orange interior still shone beautifully in the morning sunlight. We initially considered sitting outside, but since the sun hadn't yet warmed the ground and it was still chilly, we opted to stay indoors after checking the temperature. Additionally, I've noticed that whenever I sit outdoors in the Joordan area, the sidewalk feels too narrow as well. Bussia's distinctive interior remained unchanged. Managed by the Burro group, the establishment is divided into two sections: the Panificio area, meaning bakery in Italian, and the traditional restaurant area. ...