Skip to main content

[Food Review] Box Sociaal - Australian eatery with interesting Korean-inspired menus in Amsterdam Oost.


On Easter Saturday, it was tough finding a brunch spot in Amsterdam since many places were closed for the holiday. Luckily, I managed to snag a table at Box Sociaal in Oost, even though it was a last-minute reservation. Although I didn't have high hopes initially, I was pleasantly surprised by the experience at Box Sociaal.

(Be sure to check out the video below for a one-minute video of Box Sociaal)



Box Sociaal is an all-day brunch and dinner cafe with an Australian-inspired concept. Interestingly, there seem to be quite a few Australian-style brunch cafes in Amsterdam.

Box Sociaal Amsterdam - Menu

Upon arriving earlier than my friend, I perused the menu book and noted the clear influence of Korean cuisine throughout. While "kimchi" has become ubiquitous on menus of various restaurant tiers, I found the Korean-inspired options at Box Sociaal particularly intriguing and decided to give them a try. Since the weather was still quite cold, I opted for a pot of tea instead of another drink.


Box Sociaal Amsterdam - Latte


Our party ordered two dishes that day, beginning with the Korean-inspired Kim's Tacos. Described on the menu as "Our signature buttermilk fried chicken tenders or tindle plant-based chicken (v) coated in our secret sweet and spicy Korean glaze, in-house kimchi slaw, spring onions and sesame topped on handcrafted tortillas. Three per serve.", we requested four pieces.


Box Sociaal Amsterdam - Food


We were pleasantly surprised by the intensive Korean flavor of the chicken and the successful replication of the sweet and spicy Korean glaze. However, the kimchi slaw differed from our expectations, as we anticipated a more fermented version with a greater degree of sourness and spiciness.




The second dish, the Parmy, also exceeded our expectations. The combination of chicken, marinara sauce, and melted mozzarella was thoroughly enjoyable, and the portion size was generous, particularly by Amsterdam standards.



Overall, I found Box Sociaal to be a delightful experience. The ambiance was pleasing, the staff was friendly, and the food was sincere, hearty, and devoid of any gimmickry.

Box Sociaal Amsterdam - Interior

Box Sociaal
Address: Plantage Middenlaan 30A, 1018 DG Amsterdam
+31 020 280 5578
https://www.boxsociaal.com/

Thanks for reading.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

[Food Review] Bar Bouwmeester - A Decent and Cozy Breakfast Place Close to Victoriaplein

This is a funny story, but I hadn't used a key for several decades. One of the big culture shocks after arriving in Amsterdam was encountering keys for doors and gates. In Asia, we typically use a number pad or fingerprint recognition to enter houses. When my family visited, everybody was confused, and on the last day, a big event occurred. The door was locked with the key inside. I called a locksmith, but he was fully booked, so I had to stay at my friend's place and went to breakfast with him. We first attempted to go to a Moroccan breakfast place, which I had randomly received a recommendation for from a Moroccan Uber driver. However, it was closed for the day. So, we swiftly opted for another place with very favorable Google reviews.  As you can discern from the menu, the prices for the all-day breakfast were not typical of Amsterdam, although the pictures on the Google reviews appeared quite enticing. Sweet French Toast 10.5€ We ordered Sweet French Toast and t...

[Food Review] Yangon Delight: The Very First Burmese Restaurant in Amsterdam

When it comes to Asian food, Amsterdam doesn't offer as much variety as its neighboring cities like London or Paris. For example, Korean options are very limited, and Japanese cuisine is more skewed towards ramen and sushi. For Chinese food, we are now seeing Northeastern restaurants and hot pot places starting to pop up, but there is still a lack of diversity. In terms of Southeast Asian cuisine, while Delft has some Lao and Cambodian options, Amsterdam mainly has Indian, Indonesian, and Thai restaurants, with a very limited number of Vietnamese and Malaysian establishments. One good thing about Amsterdam is that, due to the city's exponential growth, new establishments keep opening. I sometimes google terms like "Sri Lankan Amsterdam" or "Lao Amsterdam" to see if there are any new restaurants. One day, I randomly typed "Burmese Amsterdam," and to my surprise, a Burmese restaurant had just opened its doors for the first time in Amsterdam. I had be...

[Food Review] Bussia Panificio: Crafting Authentic Italian Breads and Pastries and Superb Almond Croissant

I have been to Bussia Panificio a few times, but I haven't explored the Joordan area in a long time, so I almost forgot about it. However, last Sunday, the weather was amazing, and as we were walking down the street towards the Pulitzer, the unmistakable orange interior of Bussia caught our attention, right before the Pulitzer Hotel. For more details, please find my YouTube below.   The striking orange interior still shone beautifully in the morning sunlight. We initially considered sitting outside, but since the sun hadn't yet warmed the ground and it was still chilly, we opted to stay indoors after checking the temperature. Additionally, I've noticed that whenever I sit outdoors in the Joordan area, the sidewalk feels too narrow as well. Bussia's distinctive interior remained unchanged. Managed by the Burro group, the establishment is divided into two sections: the Panificio area, meaning bakery in Italian, and the traditional restaurant area. ...