Skip to main content

Food Review: Raan Phad Thai 2, a flavorful Thai restaurant hidden in a basement close to Nieuwmarkt.

Whenever I search for the best Pad Thai in Amsterdam on Google, Raan Phad Thai 2 always pops up. I had been quite satisfied with the Thai food at Bird Snack Bar, so I didn't have much interest in trying another place. However, I became curious and visited Raan Phad Thai 2 on Pride day, only to find out that they were closed for a one-month summer vacation.

I liked their attitude and could see their confidence, so I patiently waited for their return, while wondering why it's called Raan Phad Thai 2 and not 1.



The restaurant is operated by two Thai men, and the staff is very friendly. The menu has almost everything except for any pork dishes (which made me suspect that they might come from the southern part of Thailand where Islam is practiced).



Initially, I wanted to have some Pad Thai, but the weather was cold and windy, and I found myself longing for spicier food. So, I decided to try their curry section. They had four varieties of red curry - red curry, red curry with coconut milk, Massaman curry, and Panaeng curry, which are staples of any Thai restaurant.



Choosing between beef and tofu was difficult since they didn't have pork. Eventually, I settled on Panaeng curry with tofu, which successfully replicated all the flavors of Thai cuisine - spicy, sweet, sour, and salty. The fried tofu was perfectly cooked and went well with the curry.



Raan Phad Thai 2 is located in another hole-in-the-wall in the city center of Amsterdam. However, the interior was interesting as they created a Thai shrine with red, gold, and dark wood. On a rainy day, I opted for fresh ginger tea as my drink, which was fragrant and spicy with chunky ginger slices.


They offered a bowl of white rice, but it was not enough to finish the curry, so I ordered another bowl. 
My favorite Bird Thai Snackbar always serves good curry, but here at Raan Phad Thai 2, the curry was even better. It was richer in flavor and the vegetables were cooked perfectly without getting mushy. The cooking technique was spot on.




While bringing the food, the friendly staff put a candle close to the dishes, saying it would make my pictures look better, and they turned out really well.





Raan Phad Thai 2 is located near Nieuwmarkt station, about 3-4 minutes walk along the canal. The entrance is small, and the restaurant is in the basement, so it's better to watch your head when going down.



Raan Phad Thai 2
Address: Raamgracht 9, 1011 KH Amsterdam
Phone: +31 06 26423841

Thanks for reading

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

[Food Review] Bar Bouwmeester - A Decent and Cozy Breakfast Place Close to Victoriaplein

This is a funny story, but I hadn't used a key for several decades. One of the big culture shocks after arriving in Amsterdam was encountering keys for doors and gates. In Asia, we typically use a number pad or fingerprint recognition to enter houses. When my family visited, everybody was confused, and on the last day, a big event occurred. The door was locked with the key inside. I called a locksmith, but he was fully booked, so I had to stay at my friend's place and went to breakfast with him. We first attempted to go to a Moroccan breakfast place, which I had randomly received a recommendation for from a Moroccan Uber driver. However, it was closed for the day. So, we swiftly opted for another place with very favorable Google reviews.  As you can discern from the menu, the prices for the all-day breakfast were not typical of Amsterdam, although the pictures on the Google reviews appeared quite enticing. Sweet French Toast 10.5€ We ordered Sweet French Toast and t...

[Food Review] Yangon Delight: The Very First Burmese Restaurant in Amsterdam

When it comes to Asian food, Amsterdam doesn't offer as much variety as its neighboring cities like London or Paris. For example, Korean options are very limited, and Japanese cuisine is more skewed towards ramen and sushi. For Chinese food, we are now seeing Northeastern restaurants and hot pot places starting to pop up, but there is still a lack of diversity. In terms of Southeast Asian cuisine, while Delft has some Lao and Cambodian options, Amsterdam mainly has Indian, Indonesian, and Thai restaurants, with a very limited number of Vietnamese and Malaysian establishments. One good thing about Amsterdam is that, due to the city's exponential growth, new establishments keep opening. I sometimes google terms like "Sri Lankan Amsterdam" or "Lao Amsterdam" to see if there are any new restaurants. One day, I randomly typed "Burmese Amsterdam," and to my surprise, a Burmese restaurant had just opened its doors for the first time in Amsterdam. I had be...

[Food Review] Bussia Panificio: Crafting Authentic Italian Breads and Pastries and Superb Almond Croissant

I have been to Bussia Panificio a few times, but I haven't explored the Joordan area in a long time, so I almost forgot about it. However, last Sunday, the weather was amazing, and as we were walking down the street towards the Pulitzer, the unmistakable orange interior of Bussia caught our attention, right before the Pulitzer Hotel. For more details, please find my YouTube below.   The striking orange interior still shone beautifully in the morning sunlight. We initially considered sitting outside, but since the sun hadn't yet warmed the ground and it was still chilly, we opted to stay indoors after checking the temperature. Additionally, I've noticed that whenever I sit outdoors in the Joordan area, the sidewalk feels too narrow as well. Bussia's distinctive interior remained unchanged. Managed by the Burro group, the establishment is divided into two sections: the Panificio area, meaning bakery in Italian, and the traditional restaurant area. ...