Skip to main content

Food Review: ARCA, a new adventure of Henrique Sá Pessoa in Amsterdam.


Sometimes you don't plan on having a fancy meal, but it just happens randomly, and that's what happened on this day.

I had planned on having some authentic but quick Chinese or Japanese food, but instead, we decided to go to ARCA, located around the Amsterdam Centraal station area.



Nestled in the vicinity of Amsterdam Centraal station, Arca opened its doors in November 2021. Sadly, due to pandemic-related closures, it remained under the radar for a few months. But once the city began reopening, Henrique himself visited Amsterdam and it opened its doors once again.



The restaurant, which forms a part of Art'otel Amsterdam, a Radisson property, was easy to miss. It would be easier to look for the hotel instead of this restaurant if you go by Uber or taxi, as nobody would know about the restaurant well, and the Google map doesn't offer the best information on where to arrive.


As I stepped in, I was greeted with a spacious and aesthetically-pleasing ambiance. Arca is a seafood lover's haven with a menu that boasts of the choicest seafood delicacies - octopus, bacalhau, tuna, and cuttlefish. The Portuguese influence in the menu was evident, which didn't come as a surprise, given that Pessoa hails from Portugal.



To start, I couldn't resist trying the octopus salad (17€). It was a medley of flavors, with tender chunks of octopus served alongside potatoes, paprika, and herbs. This dish alone set my expectations high for what was to follow.



Next, the Tuna Tataki (17€) with spicy escabeche, basil, and chili oil stole the show. The dish was beautifully plated, and the tuna was seared to perfection. The combination of the spicy escabeche, aromatic basil, and chili oil worked wonders in accentuating the flavors of the tuna. Pessoa's unique twist on this traditional dish was a testament to his culinary prowess.



I also ordered the Portuguese-style bread (6€) served with extra virgin olive oil, which was a pleasant surprise. So far, the bread I had in Dutch restaurants was not that impressive, but this Portuguese bread was impressive, together with abundant olive oil.


As the seafood appetizer dishes were more than beautiful, we expected the same for the others too. As for the mains, the Arca Slider (11€) fell short of my expectations. The pork belly was slightly dry, and the so-called "Asian pickle" left me wondering what type of Asian cuisine it represented. The only saving grace was the Portuguese brioche bun.



The Sopa de abóbora e caril (12€), a pumpkin soup with Thai red curry, coconut milk, spring onion, and seared scallop, was a hit with my team member. The combination of flavors was creative, and the portion size was generous.


The final dish, Bife à Portuguesa, a typical Portuguese dish, was the highlight of the meal. Unlike the traditional presentation, Pessoa's interpretation involved separating the egg yolk and white, and only cooking the white. The steak was tender and juicy, and the egg yolk, bacon, and julienned carrots added a unique texture and flavor profile. It was a symphony of flavors that tantalized my taste buds.


Then we got our last dish, Bife à Portuguesa, a typical Portuguese dish, but it did not come with the typical presentation. Completely covered with fresh egg yolk and bacon, the chef expertly separated the egg white and yolk, frying only the latter. The fried yolk was then used as a small plate on top of the carefully grilled steak, which was layered with julienned carrots and jamon slices. Finally, the bright yellow yolk was placed on top.

While the layers were not as pretty as shown in the picture, the steak was impressive nonetheless. The chef's interpretation of the traditional dish was creative and fascinating. Each component - steak, egg, and sauce - was executed with precision and expertise.

I must admit, I was expecting something more traditional when I ordered the Bife à Portuguesa. When you type Bife à Portuguesa on Google, you would automatically see Pessoa's name as an autocomplete. Then you will get to check his YouTube video with almost 300K views - which looks quite different from what I had in Arca. I expected something similar to that, but his interpretation was completely different, and more fascinating.


In conclusion, my lunch at Arca was a good experience. The seafood dishes were the highlight of the meal, and Pessoa's interpretation of the traditional Portuguese dishes was a feast for the senses. Although the Arca Slider left much to be desired, the overall quality of the food, coupled with the impeccable service, makes this restaurant a stand-out for Amsterdammers.

ARCA Amsterdam
Address: Martelaarsgracht 5, 1012 TM Amsterdam
+31 020 820 5333

Thanks for reading.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

[Food Review] Bar Bouwmeester - A Decent and Cozy Breakfast Place Close to Victoriaplein

This is a funny story, but I hadn't used a key for several decades. One of the big culture shocks after arriving in Amsterdam was encountering keys for doors and gates. In Asia, we typically use a number pad or fingerprint recognition to enter houses. When my family visited, everybody was confused, and on the last day, a big event occurred. The door was locked with the key inside. I called a locksmith, but he was fully booked, so I had to stay at my friend's place and went to breakfast with him. We first attempted to go to a Moroccan breakfast place, which I had randomly received a recommendation for from a Moroccan Uber driver. However, it was closed for the day. So, we swiftly opted for another place with very favorable Google reviews.  As you can discern from the menu, the prices for the all-day breakfast were not typical of Amsterdam, although the pictures on the Google reviews appeared quite enticing. Sweet French Toast 10.5€ We ordered Sweet French Toast and t...

[Food Review] Yangon Delight: The Very First Burmese Restaurant in Amsterdam

When it comes to Asian food, Amsterdam doesn't offer as much variety as its neighboring cities like London or Paris. For example, Korean options are very limited, and Japanese cuisine is more skewed towards ramen and sushi. For Chinese food, we are now seeing Northeastern restaurants and hot pot places starting to pop up, but there is still a lack of diversity. In terms of Southeast Asian cuisine, while Delft has some Lao and Cambodian options, Amsterdam mainly has Indian, Indonesian, and Thai restaurants, with a very limited number of Vietnamese and Malaysian establishments. One good thing about Amsterdam is that, due to the city's exponential growth, new establishments keep opening. I sometimes google terms like "Sri Lankan Amsterdam" or "Lao Amsterdam" to see if there are any new restaurants. One day, I randomly typed "Burmese Amsterdam," and to my surprise, a Burmese restaurant had just opened its doors for the first time in Amsterdam. I had be...

[Food Review] Bussia Panificio: Crafting Authentic Italian Breads and Pastries and Superb Almond Croissant

I have been to Bussia Panificio a few times, but I haven't explored the Joordan area in a long time, so I almost forgot about it. However, last Sunday, the weather was amazing, and as we were walking down the street towards the Pulitzer, the unmistakable orange interior of Bussia caught our attention, right before the Pulitzer Hotel. For more details, please find my YouTube below.   The striking orange interior still shone beautifully in the morning sunlight. We initially considered sitting outside, but since the sun hadn't yet warmed the ground and it was still chilly, we opted to stay indoors after checking the temperature. Additionally, I've noticed that whenever I sit outdoors in the Joordan area, the sidewalk feels too narrow as well. Bussia's distinctive interior remained unchanged. Managed by the Burro group, the establishment is divided into two sections: the Panificio area, meaning bakery in Italian, and the traditional restaurant area. ...