Skip to main content

[Food Review] One Dim Sum (一點心, Overtoom) - A must try Dim Sum place

<

 


One Dim Sum - Cheung Fun 肠粉 Rice Noodle Role


I loved Hong Kong. For me, one of the greatest parts of visiting Hong Kong was always its Dim Sum (點心). Before moving into this low land country - of course in pre-covid era, - I visited the city at least two or three times a year, and I never missed chances of having Dim Sums there. 

Not only with those great Cantonese institutions where Michelin showered with starsLung King Heen 龍景軒, Yan Toh Heen 欣圖軒, Tin Lung Heen 天龍軒, and Sun Tung Lock 新同樂, of course, I went there - but I had Dim Sums all over the city. I even went to Happy Valley for Dim Sum The Art of Chinese Tit Bits 譽滿坊 and Kennedy Town for Sun Hing 新興食家. If you ask me which are my favorites, I would say the Sunday dim sum of Fook Lam Moon 福臨門 at Wanchai and Sun Hing were my top choices. I did like Yan Toh Heen for its beauty and heavenly service, Tin Lung Heen for its grace and view, and Sun Tung Lock for its authenticity, but Fook Lam Moon's Sunday Dim Sum - which I always went by myself - gave me more fun than I expected, and the unexpected uniqueness of Sun Hing brought me a lot more stories to tell.

Although you already read it from the title, I prefer to tell the conclusion first. The place is reasonably priced for its Dim Sum quality - but remember this is Amsterdam, not Hong Kong. The total bill turned out to be 55 Euro for three people - we were so full! - and you will get to see how much we ordered, including tea.

Amsterdam One Dim Sum - Tea Pot


This was an occasion I wanted to treat my coworkers for the kindness they bestowed upon me, and it was the week that the Dutch government allowed the full operation of restaurants. I had long been waiting for the opportunity. I wanted to take them to a Korean restaurant as well, but it seemed like the ones with good reputations were a bit far away from the center, so I looked for something else. Then, I found out One Dim Sum in Overtoom got quite good reviews among Asians. (Also, this place had the same name as the famous Michelin-starred (now gone) low-key dim sum place in Prince Edward.)

I made a reservation via phone a day before, and I could easily get a table. It was the first day you could sit down for lunch, and we were the first customers for the day. I asked what kind of tea they had - expecting some selections - but they only had Jasmine, so I ordered what was available.

When you go to Dim Sum places in Hong Kong, you would find three ways to order. 1. Pick the ones on the trolley or baskets that come around and get the mark on a paper (Sung Hing, Lin Heung Kui) 2. Mark what you want on the paper (Tim Ho Wan) 3. Order with a menu just like the other restaurants. (Lung King Heen) It was number two style. If you don't know what to order, there are photos you can look at and refer to. I asked if they had any house specialties, but they said they didn't. Up until this moment, I didn't have high expectations. 

Amsterdam One Dim Sum - Fried Rice

I ordered 8 plates for three people, including Yang Chow style fried rice (楊洲炒飯, 12 Euro). I found it a bit strange to see the fried rice as the first serving dish. However, with the fried rice, my doubt about the place disappeared as it was simply good.

The classic Chinese fried rice was served with silver covering gold method - the egg is scrambled separately before mixing with the rice - and it was done neatly. It looked straightforward and humble, but expertly cooked with char siu, shrimp, and green peas. The authentically cooked, old-school flavor of the fried rice made me expect more from their food.

Amsterdam One Dim Sum - Soy Sauce


They brought two types of sauces for the dim sum: soy sauce and chili sauce. Later, they also brought vinegar with fried dumplings.


Amsterdam One Dim Sum - cheung fun 肠粉 Rice Noodle Roll

The first dim sum we got was Shrimp wrapped in tofu skin (鲜虾腐皮卷, 5.50 Euro), which came with sweet chili sauce. I expected it to be a bit more crispy, which you can have a similar one in Fook Lam Moon, but it was on the side of being a bit more fluffy. However, the flavor was there, and I quite liked the texture and taste.

Amsterdam One Dim Sum - Dumpling filled with scallops and shrimps (三星帶子餃)


My friend wanted Dumpling filled with scallops and shrimps (三星帶子餃), so I ordered it for her. Honestly, it was my least favorite dim sum of the day. I prefer a much thinner, translucent type of skin for these types of dumplings.


Amsterdam One Dim Sum - Prawns dumplings steamed in a translucent wrapper 蝦餃 Har Gau

Then, we got the classic Prawns dumplings steamed in a translucent wrapper (蝦餃, Har Gau, 5.00 Euro). It came with an interesting shape - roundy parts on top. It was an average basic har gau - the flavor was nice, but it could have been more translucent. I know a lot of restaurants add more and more stuff in har gau - from bamboo shoots to truffle, but I always prefer the basic one, and it was the one, but with a bit thicker wrap.


Amsterdam One Dim Sum - Siu Mai 干蒸燒賣

Next, we got the Siu Mai (干蒸燒賣, 4.50 Euro). For Siu Mai, I do enjoy the basic styles from Tim Ho Wan, but I also enjoy having Siu Mai with a special touch - just like the ones in Duddell's with a quail egg inside or Dim Sum Library's black garlic ones. One Dim Sum brought Siu Mai in a basic style - I still don't know what the red thing on top was (the dark one must be some mushroom), it came with no frills.

I used to have Siu Mai either in bright yellow color or white color, but this one was somewhat in between. When you see yellow wrappers with Siu Mai, it simply means it contains egg yolk, but the color you see here was in between yellow and white, which seemed more natural.


Amsterdam One Dim Sum - Ham Sui Gok 鹹水角 Crispy glutinous rice dough filled with dried shrimps and pork

I also ordered Ham Sui Gok (鹹水角) - Crispy glutinous rice dough filled with dried shrimps and pork. These are my favorites, but it is not always on the menu for many dim sum places outside of Hong Kong. I was really glad to see it, so I ordered it. I was a bit surprised to see its size; it was much bigger than the ones I usually eat.

Amsterdam One Dim Sum - Ham Sui Gok 鹹水角 Crispy glutinous rice dough filled with dried shrimps and pork

The other noticeable thing about its Ham Sui Gok (鹹水角, 4.50 Euro) was, as you can see from the picture it was not crispy. It had rather mochi-like texture. Honestly, it looked like those sticky rice doughnuts you can easily find in Seoul's market or doughnut stand. Hence, I didn't really put so much expectation on it, but I had another surprise. It was good in its own way. My favorite Ham Sui Goks were from Fook Lam Moon and Tin Lung Heen so far, and those were crispy, so I always set my standard on those two places, but its Ham Sui Gok fell into a different category. 

Amsterdam One Dim Sum - fried pork dumplings 煎窩貼

We hadn't finished yet, so we decided to order some more food. We opted for the fried pork dumplings (煎窩貼, 5.00 Euro), served with vinegar. They were tough and had a straightforward taste, reminding me of some of the Shandong style fried dumplings.

Amsterdam One Dim Sum - Nai Wong Bao, 蒸/炸奶皇包 Steamed Custard Buns


For dessert, we ordered the Steamed Custard Buns (Nai Wong Bao, 蒸/炸奶皇包, 4.50 Euro), which I couldn't read in Chinese. The staff kindly asked if we wanted the buns fried or steamed, and offered to bring one or two baskets. I opted for steamed, and requested one basket. However, when the basket arrived, we realized it only contained three pieces, and we needed one more. We asked if we could order an extra piece, but were told we had to order another whole basket. While waiting for the second basket, I realized that we should have eaten the first one right away - the creamy custard inside was divine.

My favorite Nai Wong Bao in Hong Kong is from Sung Hing, and their creamy custard is always amazing. I waited until the next basket, but we should have finished these custard buns immediately when they were served.


Amsterdam One Dim Sum - Nai Wong Bao, 蒸/炸奶皇包 Steamed Custard Buns

Even from its Google reviews, One Dim Sum was known for super affordable prices for quality Dim Sums. I had enough food, but only paid 55 Euros in total. It was much less than I expected, and the quality of food was satisfactory. I would not say it had the fineness of my favorite dim sum restaurants, but it had above-average dim sums.

Amsterdam One Dim Sum - Peppermint Candy



Considering that One Dim Sum is in Amsterdam, not Hong Kong, the level of quality at this price point is almost unbelievable, especially with the added bonus of pepermunt after eating.

One tip for ordering at One Dim Sum is to control the order. They brought all the dim sum dishes together, with the fried rice being the first dish we received. If you don't want to start with that, make sure to control the order. We even got the custard bun with other dim sums, so if you want certain items later, make sure to order them last.

One Dim Sum
Overtoom 109, 1054 HD Amsterdam
+31 (0)20 689 3003
Thanks for reading!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

[Food Review] Troef Amsterdam: A new hotspot in Amsterdam-Oost, serving French food with a hint of Italian influence.

Just like the China Sichuan Restaurant I posted last time, I found Troef Amsterdam on the same list - Time Out's "The 21 Best Restaurants in Amsterdam 2024" list. After my experience with China Sichuan restaurant, I honestly had some doubt. However, the description of this place was quite fancy, and since it was not far from my area, I decided to go. Troef Amsterdam brought together big names from Amsterdam's culinary scene, including renowned restaurants like 212 and Ron Blaauw, as well as the expertise of chefs such as Raymond Plat (formerly of 212) and Niels Leijssenaar (from the kitchens of Ron Blaauw), along with Willem Alberts and Roderick Kunst from Escobar. Nestled in Amsterdam-Oost, Restaurant Troef swiftly rose to prominence as one of the most sought-after hotspots in this vibrant part of the city. We initially decided to order a combination of one starter + entree, and one starter + main, as the portions looked decent, but the wait s

[Food Review] Fuku Ramen - The Hottest Ramen Place in Amsterdam

  Almost simultaneously, several people recommended a place to me: Fuku Ramen. They mentioned that despite not being run by a Japanese person, the quality of the ramen exceeded expectations, surpassing that of any other ramen joint in Amsterdam. Intrigued by these reviews, I decided to visit. However, I hadn't anticipated that the rain would begin to fall just as I joined the queue. I hadn't expected the rain, and to add to it, the line moved at a snail's pace. Now, while the information has been corrected, it wasn't entirely clear whether they accepted reservations for the weekend or not. Several of us in line assumed it was walk-in only for the weekend, but it turned out they did accept reservations. It was a bit confusing at the time. Nonetheless, after waiting about an hour in the rain, I finally secured a seat at the bar. Despite knowing the price beforehand, I was still a bit taken aback when I confirmed it: a bowl of ramen priced at over 20 Euros. There were two

[Food Review] Bussia Panificio: Crafting Authentic Italian Breads and Pastries and Superb Almond Croissant

I have been to Bussia Panificio a few times, but I haven't explored the Joordan area in a long time, so I almost forgot about it. However, last Sunday, the weather was amazing, and as we were walking down the street towards the Pulitzer, the unmistakable orange interior of Bussia caught our attention, right before the Pulitzer Hotel. For more details, please find my YouTube below.   The striking orange interior still shone beautifully in the morning sunlight. We initially considered sitting outside, but since the sun hadn't yet warmed the ground and it was still chilly, we opted to stay indoors after checking the temperature. Additionally, I've noticed that whenever I sit outdoors in the Joordan area, the sidewalk feels too narrow as well. Bussia's distinctive interior remained unchanged. Managed by the Burro group, the establishment is divided into two sections: the Panificio area, meaning bakery in Italian, and the traditional restaurant area.